The Conference of Executive Officers (CEO) is composed of the executive officers from each ACLS member learned society. The CEO serves as the primary vehicle for maintaining and enhancing relationships among the societies and between the societies and ACLS. The CEO holds semi-annual meetings to discuss substantive issues in the humanities as well as practical and organizational aspects of society management. The Executive Committee of the CEO sets the agenda for these meetings. Its chair serves as an ex officio member of the ACLS Board of Directors.
CEO Executive Committee
- James Grossman, Chair, American Historical Association (2019)
- Amy Ferrer, American Philosophical Association (2020)
- Gerard Hauser, Rhetoric Society of America (2019)
- Lynda Park, Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (2019)
- Jill Simpson, Society for Cinema and Media Studies (2020)
- Julie Van Camp, American Society for Aesthetics (2021)
- Andrew Vaughn, American Schools of Oriental Research (2021)
Fall CEO meetings are held in cities of interest as possible convention sites for member societies and are hosted by each city's convention and visitors bureau. The fall 2018 meeting will be held in Tampa, FL, November 1-4.
Certain fall meetings are designated "retreats." The program for these meetings allows for focused discussion of topics that are of broad interest in the humanities community and that have significant implications for all of the member societies. Participants prepare materials aimed at a comparative understanding of the dynamics, histories, and trajectories of our member societies as they relate to the retreat's focus.
Spring meetings are held in conjunction with ACLS annual meetings.